How To Make…Feather Shoe Clips!
If you’re anything like me, a new season makes you lust for a new wardrobe. But, if you’re anything like me, you also have no money to afford this new wardrobe. Thankfully, there are simple ways to jazz up the items you already have and make them feel new, without breaking the piggy bankl. In this post, I’m going to show you a really easy and inexpensive way to make your old, boring shoes look new and fun.
First, you will need
- A hot glue gun and glue sticks (Available from any craft shop from under €10. These are really worth investing in as they come in handy for all sorts of crafty and customising projects.)
- Feathers (two contrasting colours, preferably wide and full – you can get feathers at your local craft shop)
- Shoe clips (Also available at your local craft shop. You can use clip-on earring blanks as well)
- Buttons (Preferably small and interesting in design. It’s best if your button is a shanks button, ie, it is sewn on from the back with no visible button holes. I used gold-effect vintage ones I found at a carboot sale)
- Needle & Thread (in a colour matching your feathers)
- And, of course, a pair of your old shoes!
1. Arrange your feathers. I used four short but full looking white feathers at the back and the turquoise at the front to accentuate. Play around with different arrangements until you find one you like.
2. Use a small dot of hot glue at the end of your first feather and glue your second on top. Do this until you have glued your arrangement in place. You only need to use a little dot of glue. Be careful not to get glue on the rest of the feather.
3. Once you are happy with your arrangement (you can add extra feathers if it looks a little limp), get your button and sew it over the end stems of the feathers. If the button feels wobbly, you can put a dot of glue behind it and hold it in place until it holds more steadily.
4. Put a dot of glue on the front of the shoe clip and stick your feather arrangement down. Hold it in place for a few seconds. If it feels wobbly, add another dot of glue behind it and hold it down again.
5. Finally, clip your new feather accessories to your shoes, team with a pair of colourful tights and go out to show off your fun new look! Easy peasy and inexpensive!